The Wauneta Fire Department
The Wauneta Fire Department consists of two companies, villiage and rural. The fire department covers a total of 400 square miles and is a member of the Frenchman Valley Mutual Aid District which includes the following Nebraska towns: Lamar, Imperial, Haigler, Benkelman, Wauneta, Stratton, Trenton, Palisade, Hayes Center, Culbertson, McCook, and Red Willow Western.
The Wauneta Fire Department began operating in the early 1900’s and now has grown into a volunteer fire department of 21 brave men. The equipment these men work with includes: 2 pumpers, 1 pumper rescue, 2 tankers, 3 grass rigs, and a command vehicle.